SCMS Summer Learning Opportunities
Continuity of Learning- Summer Workbooks and Teacher Support
FCPS school buildings will remain closed through the end of July. Therefore, we will continue to provide recommended, virtual learning opportunities for students from June 29th to July 31st. Students currently in Grades 7-8 will receive both a Mathematics and Language Arts Essentials Summer Practice Book in the mail by the end of June; digital versions of the books will also be posted on the Continuity of Learning Blackboard page. These books will provide practice activities that review essential content from the 2019-2020 school year. Students will receive a mathematics book based on the level of mathematics they took during the 2019-20 school year. The language arts book will focus on essential skills in reading, writing, grammar, mechanics and vocabulary.
A supplemental English Language Development Summer Practice Book will be sent to middle school English learners who are ELP levels 1 & 2. These books will provide English Language Development (ELD) practice activities to support and enrich language development during the summer. In addition, the Language Arts workbook that all students receive will contain an ELD section with language development activities designed for students at ELP level 3 & 4. To support student learning from June 29th to July 31st, there will be one hour per week of office hours available for each course. Office hours for mathematics, language arts, and English Language Development will be with one of our own outstanding staff members and are intended to support students with the Mathematics Essentials Summer Practice Book, the Language Arts Essentials Summer Practice Book, and the English Language Development Summer Practice Book. Attendance is recommended.
To register your student for SCMS Virtual Summer Office Hours and receive a secure link, please complete this Google Form. Once registered, your child will receive log-in information via their FCPS Google email address prior to the first session.
Schedule of SCMS Summer Virtual Office Hours:
|Subject||Days and Times||Teacher|
|Math 7||Wednesdays 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm||Mr. Christ|
|Math 7 Honors||Wednesdays 11:00 am - 12:00 pm||Ms. Endrizzi|
|Algebra||Tuesdays 11:00 am - 12:00 pm||Mr. Christ|
|Pre-Algebra||Tuesdays 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm||Ms. Endrizzi|
|Grade 7 English||
Wednesdays 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Fridays 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
|Grade 8 English||
Wednesdays 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Fridays 9:00 am - 10:00 am
|ESOL||Thursdays 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm||Ms. Zinke|
|Special Education||Thursdays 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm||Ms. Dougherty|
|Counselling Support||Wednesdays 10:00 am - 11:00 am||Mr. Haris|
Algebra Credit Recovery (High School)
- Students currently enrolled in Algebra 1 can also participate in one of two Algebra specific summer learning options.
- Students who passed or failed Algebra 1 may take the Virtual Credit Recovery course to improve their understanding and skills before the next school year. Students who participate will meet daily with high school staff, review Algebra content, and receive a grade at the end of the summer.
- Please note that the high school credit bearing course taken during the summer between the 8th and 9th grade may not be expunged.
- Click here for more information about Credit Recovery and contact your child's counselor for the sign up information.
Algebra Intervention (Non-Credit program) (High School)
- In addition to the Credit Recovery for Algebra, teachers and schools can also recommend students for Summer Algebra Intervention.
- Like the Continuity of Learning option, Algebra Intervention will offer a self-directed, self-paced option for students who want to review Algebra. Students who are recommended for or sign up for Algebra Intervention will be able to connect with high school staff once a week for office hours.
- There is no credit or grade for this program. Please contact your child's counselor for sign up information.
Summer Online Program
FCPS Online Campus is offering various summer school courses and here is the Online Campus website for more information.
Online Campus course tuition has been reduced to $375 for this summer to:
- Address the impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on the community.
- Support student learning throughout the summer months.
If you have already registered for an Online Campus course for this summer, you will receive a refund for the difference in cost in approximately three to four weeks.
Other Summer Options
Students and parents may also receive information about specific programs such as ESY and ESOL Summer School. In addition, information about the VIP program which targets students in grades 6-8 will be shared.
Expunge High School Credits
The request to remove a HS credit bearing course from the transcript must be made in writing to the middle or high school that the student will attend the following year and prior to the end of the first nine weeks of the school year.
See Request to Expunge High School Courses Taken in Middle School Form. If you have questions or concerns regarding this, please contact your child’s school counselor no later than June 17th, 2020. After this date, please contact your child’s high school counselor or the Director of Student Services.