After School Program
Thank You for making this year's Jump Start Program a success!
Do you have additional questions about the After School Program?
- Please contact Christopher Woodby, After School Program Specialist, at 703-690-5551 or my email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
After School Program Basics
- There is no fee for the After-School Program (ASP) and all students are invited to attend.
- The program is a mixture of structured academic and non-academic activities. There are many options to choose from when deciding where to stay after school.
- The ASP program runs Monday through Friday. End times vary by activity. Most activities are over by 4:30 pm. Some may end earlier or run later. Check with specific teachers/sponsors for detailed meeting time information.
- Every student must return an After-School Registration Form. Please make sure that both the student and parent signatures are provided. (This form was included in the first-day packet at the start of the school year.)
- Students should make arrangements prior to the end of the school day when staying after with a specific teacher to ensure the teacher is available.
- Student’s must be supervised at all times and are not permitted to wander around the building during after-school hours.
- Discuss your child’s after-school plans every morning to prevent any confusion in the afternoon for the parent and student.
- Encourage your student to get involved in as many activities as possible. After-school is a great time to get extra academic help and enrichment, make new friends, build social skills, complete homework, and participate in specialized activities.
After School Program Schedule
(A new schedule will be posted in Sept. 2018)
Late Bus Information
- Late buses will be provided on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.
- Late buses depart from SCMS at 4:45 pm.
- Information regarding routes and stops will be released in late September. There are fewer buses and stops.
- Late bus runs will be posted at various locations around the school.
- Parent Pick up is required on Tuesdays and Fridays by 4:00 pm and when a student is staying past the late bus departure time on late bus days.
- If you are picking your child up, please utilize the “Kiss and Ride” area near Entrance 1.
- If your child is not taking a late bus home, please be sure to pick them up promptly at the conclusion of their activity to prevent unnecessary wait time by students and staff.
Reasons to Participate
Research shows that participation in after-school programs leads to:
- Increased classroom participation, homework completion and academic performance
- Improved student behavior
- Better student/adult relationships, peer relations, and emotional adjustment
- Improved school attendance
- More positive attitudes towards school
- Reduced high-risk behavior
- Increased participation in healthy recreational activities
- Increased school, family, and community partnerships
After School Program FAQs
Who can participate in the After-School Program?
- All SCMS students may participate.
What is the bell schedule for after-school activities?
- On late bus days there will be two activity blocks that are each an hour long. Students may leave after 1st block if they are picked up by a parent. Late buses will depart at the conclusion of 2nd block. If a student is catching the late bus, they must have both an 1st and 2nd block activity to stay in. SCMS students will dismiss from the cafeteria and should report there at the end of 2nd Block activities.
How will students know what bus to ride home?
- Students should check the late bus listing which is available in their take home packet. They may see Mr. Woodby if they have further questions. Late buses begin on October 5th.
What fees are associated with the program?
- The program is free of charge to all students. Some activities may have fees for competitions, conferences, and/or uniforms.
How do students sign up to participate?
- Each club will have their own policy for participation. If students are participating in a club or sport that requires a commitment, they are encouraged to see it through but are not required. Some clubs may have try outs, auditions, or registration forms. Detailed club information will be released in an “Activity Listing” in September on the school website. This listing will include all important details for individual activities.
Can students start a new club?
- Yes! See the After-School Specialist for a “Club Proposal” form.
How many clubs can a student participate in?
- Students may participate in as many activities as they like as long as they don’t meet at the same time on the same day.
Where can I find more information about the after school program?
- The most accurate and up to date information can be found on the school website.
Are there After School Activities on Early Release School Days?
No, there are no after school activities on early release days or if school is closed two hours early due to inclement weather.
- All FCPS rules and regulations apply to the after-school program. Students who do not abide by such rules and regulations will be disciplined accordingly including the possibility of losing after-school privileges.
- In the event of an early closing due to inclement weather or emergency conditions, all after-school activities will be canceled and students will be sent home on their regular buses.
- If your child is absent from school, they are not permitted to participate in after-school activities that day.
- Students with academic obligations should fulfill those prior to attending a non-academic club or activity.