After School Program
After School Specialist
- After-School Specialist
Afterschool Program Registration Form
SCMS After-School Program Begins on Monday, September 19, 2022
Late Bus Information 2022-2023
- Late buses will be provided on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.
- Late buses depart from SCMS at 4:45 pm. Buses depart from SCMS Entrance #6.
- Check ParentVUE for information regarding routes and stops. Late Bus numbers and stops are different than those during school hours.
- Parent Pick-Up is required on Fridays by 4:30 pm and when a student is staying past the late bus departure time on late bus days.
- If you are picking your child up, please utilize the “Kiss and Ride” area near Entrance #1.
- If your child is not taking a late bus home, please be sure to pick them up promptly at the conclusion of their activity to prevent unnecessary wait time by students and staff.
SY 2022-23 Club Schedule and Information
Click here to view the Club schedule and information in PDF format.
Maker Space – Ms. Howard & Ms. McKnight
Meets each week on Thurs from 2:30pm – 3:30pm. Begins 9/22/22.
Make, create, design and tinker in the library! Participate in design challenges, make art, and learn engineering skills.
SCMS NFL Flag Football League – Mr. Woodby, Mr. Schneider & Mr. McLeod
Wednesday 2:30pm – 4:30pm
Do you enjoy football!? Come out on Wednesdays during after school and participate in our competitive but friendly flag football league. This year 7th graders will represent the NFC & 8th graders will represent the AFC. There will be a playoff tournament at the end of the season for all teams and a Super Bowl between the top 7th & 8th grade team. Evaluations for 7th graders on 9/19 & evaluations for 8th graders on 9/21/22.
Drawing Space – Mrs. Bolton
Every other Wednesday – 2:30pm – 3:30pm Room C206/Sign - up required.
A safe space to draw and share personal artwork with other members. Will meet twice a month on Wednesdays. The first meeting will be 9/21/22
CRAFTY COOKS - Mrs. Warner
Every Other Wednesday 2:30pm – 4:30pm Room B127 Begins 10/19/22
Crafty Cooks is an after-school cooking club which educates students about nutrition and healthy food preparation skills. Students participate in afterschool cooking classes on how to prepare healthy snacks and meals. This club will meet on Wednesdays every other week. Students need to sign up by the Friday before the club meets in Schoology.
Basketball Club – Mr. Woodby
Tuesdays & Fridays Begins 9/23/22 2:30pm – 4:30pm/Main Gym. (Parent Pick -up only)
Students will have the opportunity to play pick -up basketball games with friends in a safe environment.
Multi Sports Club – ASP School Staff
Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs Begins 9/27/22 2:30pm – 4:30pm. (Aux Gym)
Students will participate in many different sports, recreational games, other activities like crab soccer, floor hockey, futsal, beach ball volleyball, trivia, bingo and other friendly competitive games. There will be a calendar posted in Schoology and on the SCMS ASP Website each month with list of activities.
SCMS Fall Volleyball League – Mrs. Benner & Mr. Miller
Wednesday 2:30pm – 4:30pm/Main Gym
Students will learn how to set/serve/spike during drills session and play in fun competitive games. Students will be placed on teams and compete weekly with a playoff tournament at the end including all teams. Evaluations are on Thurs 9/22/22. Games will be played on Wednesdays.
SCMS Video Game Club – After School Staff
Mon/Tuesday/Wed/Thurs 2:30pm – 4:30pm/ A187
Students can participate in competitive video game tournaments like Madden, NBA2K, FIFA & Super Smash Bros. Will have access to Xbox’s, arcade games, and Nintendo Switches. This is also a safe space for students to chill with friends.
SCMS Chess Club – Mrs. Yun
Thursdays 2:30pm – 3:30pm/C243
For students who love to play chess for fun. We will gather once a week to play chess with other students.
SCMS Dungeons & Dragons Club – Mr. Frye
Wednesdays 2:30pm – 4:30pm/A-156
This Club will meet each week on Wednesdays. After school activity devoted to the role playing game Dungeons and Dragons.
SCMS Pep Band Club – Mr. Enghahl & Mr. Niehoff (Band Room)
Wednesdays once a week. Begins 9/21/22. 3:30pm – 4:30pm.
For any middle school band students. This is your opportunity to learn the stand tunes that the high schoolers play and join us for home football games!
SCMS Drumline – Mr. Butters (Band Room)
Wednesdays once a week. Begins 9/21/22 2:30pm – 3:30pm
Learn to play marching percussion instruments. Play at school events at both the MS and the HS.
SCMS Fall NCAA Basketball League – Mr. Woodby, Mr. McLeod, Mr. Schneider.
Thursdays once a week. Evaluations will be held on Thurs 9/29/22.
Students will be placed on teams and work together to use skills and fundamentals to compete in full court basketball games.
SCMS Sims Club – Ms. Bolton (C206)
Every other Wednesday. Begins 10/12/22
Love playing the Sims? Join me every other Wednesday at 2:30 PM for everything SIMS including monthly build and household challenges. Life in Maxis is Sim-tastic!
SCMS FCCLA CLUB – Ms. Warner
Every other Wednesday. Begins 9/29/22 Room 127.
FCCLA (Family, Career and Community Leaders of America) is a place for students to be leaders, through developing activities and projects that will benefit the school and community.
Viki Watch Party – Mrs Bolton
Once a Month on Thursdays. Begins 9/22/22. Room 206
Love Dramas? Stop by and hang out with us if you're curious or just want a place to hang out and make some new friends. This club meets once a week and we watch dramas and movies on Viki such as Mr. Queen and Poong, the Joseon Psychiatrist. Sometimes we will bring in food items to share as we watch. All the subtitles for each viewing will be in English. Each meeting time ranges from an hour to 2 hours.
SCMS Jr. Golf Club
Mondays 2:30 – 4:30pm Begins October 3rd
Students will have the opportunity to learn how to use the various clubs and how they relate to where they are on the golf course. They will learn golf etiquette as well. Each Monday students will walk over to Laurel Hill Golf Club and use their driving range as well as the putting green when available. Golf clubs are not allowed on buses. Parents should plan to drop clubs off in the main office the day of and pick them up the same day. Permission slip forms to participate are required, since students will be leaving campus. Please see Mr. Woodby for a permission slip form.
All Girl’s Skills & Drills Basketball Program
Tuesdays 2:30pm – 4:30pm
Students will have the opportunity to participate in skills & drills and learn the fundamentals of basketball. After the first 45 minutes they will be place on teams and run 5 on 5 games. After 20 minutes they will switch opponents. This program is available to students who have never played basketball before as well as more experienced ballers. Please reach out to Mr. Woodby if you have any questions. @email. Program will be facilitated by Mr. Coach Chris Hall.
After School Program Basics
- There is no fee for the After-School Program (ASP) and all students are invited to attend.
- The program is a mixture of structured academic and non-academic activities. There are many options to choose from when deciding where to stay after school.
- The ASP program runs Monday through Friday. End times vary by activity. Most activities are over by 4:45 pm. Some may end earlier or run later. Check with specific teachers/sponsors for detailed meeting time information.
- Every student must return an After-School Registration Form. Please make sure that both the student and parent signatures are provided.
- Students should make arrangements prior to the end of the school day when staying after with a specific teacher to ensure the teacher is available.
- Student’s must be supervised at all times and are not permitted to wander around the building during after-school hours.
- Discuss your child’s after-school plans every morning to prevent any confusion in the afternoon for the parent and student.
- Encourage your student to get involved in as many activities as possible. After-school is a great time to get extra academic help and enrichment, make new friends, build social skills, complete homework, and participate in specialized activities.
After School Program FAQs
Who can participate in the After-School Program?
- All SCMS students may participate.
What is the bell schedule for after-school activities?
- On late bus days, there will be two activity blocks that are each an hour long. Students may leave after 1st block if they are picked up by a parent. Late buses will depart at the conclusion of 2nd block. If a student is catching the late bus, they must have both an 1st and 2nd block activity to stay in. SCMS students will dismiss from the gym and should report there at the end of 2nd Block activities.
How will students know what bus to ride home?
- Students should check the late bus listing which is available in SIS. They may see Mr. Woodby if they have further questions. Late buses begin on September 19th.
What fees are associated with the program?
- The program is free of charge to all students. Some activities may have fees for competitions, conferences, and/or uniforms.
How do students sign up to participate?
- Each club will have their own policy for participation. If students are participating in a club or sport that requires a commitment, they are encouraged to see it through but are not required. Some clubs may have try outs, auditions, or registration forms.
Can students start a new club?
- Yes! See the After-School Specialist for a “Club Proposal” form.
How many clubs can a student participate in?
- Students may participate in as many activities as they like as long as they don’t meet at the same time on the same day.
Where can I find more information about the after school program?
- The most accurate and up to date information can be found on the school website.
Are there After School Activities on Early Release School Days?
- No, there are no after-school activities on early release days or if school is closed two hours early due to inclement weather.
Reasons to Participate
Research shows that participation in after-school programs leads to:
- Increased classroom participation, homework completion and academic performance
- Improved student behavior
- Better student/adult relationships, peer relations, and emotional adjustment
- Improved school attendance
- More positive attitudes towards school
- Reduced high-risk behavior
- Increased participation in healthy recreational activities
- Increased school, family, and community partnerships
- All FCPS rules and regulations apply to the after-school program. Students who do not abide by such rules and regulations will be disciplined accordingly including the possibility of losing after-school privileges.
- In the event of an early closing due to inclement weather or emergency conditions, all after-school activities will be canceled and students will be sent home on their regular buses.
- If your child is absent from school, they are not permitted to participate in after-school activities that day.
- Students with academic obligations should fulfill those prior to attending a non-academic club or activity.